Saturday, July 5, 2014

It's going down, I'm yelling Tinder!

Some of you might not know what Tinder is, so let me explain...



Tinder is a new online dating app. As a person on Tinder, you put up a couple pictures, a short blurb about yourself, and then set your age and search radius settings. For example on my Tinder I have a setting of ages 28-36 and within 40 miles of me. Then it brings up pictures of guys within that setting.  When you are looking at a guy, you can either swipe left for NOPE, or swipe right for YES. If you swipe left, then nothing happens. If you swipe right and the other person swipes right then it is a match and you can start chatting with each other. A lot of times, nothing happens and neither person starts chatting so it can be a lost cause. It's a running joke now among people that they hope people swipe right rather than left. Tinder is also known as a "hook up" app, so for ladies like me, I need to be very careful and weed through a lot of them to get at least one good one! Also, when I tell you about these "Tinder dates" I would like to state that even though I am calling them dates, I never really considered them actual "real" dates because for one, it's Tinder - you can't take it too seriously, and second, the first time meeting them in person is like the actual first time meeting them and you never know what you are really going to get. Either way, I have had a number of Tinder dates that I would like to tell you - they are good stories!

Tinder Date #1 - Fake pictures
It was early on when I started Tinder that I went on my first Tinder date. I was chatting with this guy - let's call him Pete. He seemed really nice, down to earth and was pretty attractive. We decided - kind of last minute - to meet at the Great Dane Hilldale. I got there first and sat at the bar to wait. I was semi-nervous, but didn't let it get to me because you can't put all your eggs in one basket, and this was certainly NOT a basket! Anyways, I was sitting there waiting, and finally about 10 minutes later, a guy walks up to me, taps me on the shoulder and says my name. I turn around and...

Instantly I wanted to leave, or pretend I was not me (but then I remembered he had pictures of me and I could not fake it). He looked NOTHING like his pictures. I am not an only-looks type person, but it does take looks to make that initial attraction, and I don't like the fact that he thought it was ok to put up pictures of himself that were probably from 10-15 years ago! He had gray hair and was majorly balding (not in his pics!), had a massive beer belly (not in his pics), was semi-hunched over, and had terrible shoes (all white sneakers). I wasn't having it.

Either way, I am a nice person, and had a drink with him. When were were done with the drink, he asked if I wanted another and I nicely said no that I needed to get home. He paid for the drinks (I paid tip), and we went our separate ways. I never give my phone number to a guy online without meeting them first, so I got a message from him on Tinder telling me that he had a nice time and hoped we could meet again. I went the easy route on that one, and blocked him on Tinder (handy little setting)!

For those people that have pictures up from 5, 10 or even 15 years ago, please note that we want to see what you look like now, not what you wished you still looked like! Stop trying to fake it and be who you are. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment