Tuesday, September 10, 2013

6 of 180

Today was a pretty good day. It's still tough because I am still having to show the sub how to do everything. I am also a bit worried because she doesn't have strong behavior management skills and I don't want my teammate to come back to chaos. 

We came in from recess and one of my boys tells me that they were playing like 'men' outside. I asked him what that meant and he looked at me like I should know the answer - "we did what men do." I asked what that is. He said: "well we finish school, got a job, took care of the women and girls." I asked him if he went to college before he got his job and he said no he didn't need to. I sat down with him and told him that he should go to college before getting a job. He looked at me confused and told me that he knows some men who didn't go to college and have a job. I agreed but told him that he would be going to college. I asked him: "you're going to go to college right?" He smiled and said "yes, yes I will!"

On Tuesdays and Thursdays I do a "walking group" into the neighborhood. I get a bunch of students together and I walk them home. Our school is not in the best of neighborhoods and some people think it's too dangerous to walk into, but I disagree. The kids love it and I get to see and talk with parents and other people in the neighborhood. This was the first time this year I finally started so I reminded the kids that I will be doing it again twice a week! Some of the girls reminded me to bring shoes so when I wear heels I can be comfortable! You got it girls! 

No comments:

Post a Comment